Search The Alder Hey Website:
Spiritual Care Team
The Spiritual Care team at Alder Hey hospital consists of:
- Two part-time Roman Catholic Chaplains -
Caroline Ferguson and Fiona Lyons
- One whole-time Chaplain from the Church of England -
Rev. Dave Williams
In addition, Duty Chaplains assist in the provision of 24/7 cover.
Overview of what the team offer:
- A spiritual and pastoral care service.
- Support, resassurance and a listening ear.
- To arrange Christenings, blessings or other services.
- A Chapel that is open 24hours a day seven days a week.
- A Quiet Room for reflection.
- A room with washing facilities for those who require them.
What do we do?
- Sometimes people need us to pray with them.
- Someone may want their child to be baptised while in hospital and we are happy to arrange that.
- Often, however, people just want somebody to be with them and their child, maybe before an operation, just for reassurance
Who are we here for?
- We all see ourselves as being here for anybody who needs us or who wants to talk to us about anything.
- We’re not just here for people who go to church, for people who are ‘religious’, or for people who are Christians.
- We try to help anybody who asks, whether they profess to have a faith or not.
- The chapel is available for anybody who wants to go and pray, or just to have a time of peace and quiet. There are prayer mats there for those of the Muslim faith.
- We can also help those of other faiths, who have differing worship needs, and we can act as a link to representatives of other denominations when they are needed.
We are also here for members of staff.
- If you need to talk about anything that’s bothering you, we are always ready to listen.
- If you just need a bit of support in your daily work, that’s what we’re here for.
- No records of visits or conversations are kept and nobody else will know that we’ve spoken together.
How do you get hold of us?
- The Spiritual Care team is on call 24/7 for emergency calls.
- Just ask switchboard to page an on-call Chaplain and one of us, or a locum, will get back to you as soon as possible.
- Or if you need to talk to us about anything at all, just call in to the office for a chat, or call us on 0151 252 5465.
The office is situated next door to the Chapel, opposite the shop on the ground floor of the main hospital corridor.